Spotting Early Signs of Failure can Save Time and Money!
Detecting potential or existing asphalt failure early on can prevent larger problems or the need for costly re-installation. Here are the signs to look out for:
Easily Apparent signs of asphalt failure:
- Potholes: small potholes can quickly turn into larger ones if not addressed, especially in harsh winter areas.
- Cracking/Alligator Cracking: subgrade failure, moisture, or excessive loading, or can cause cracks that allow water penetration, the most common reason for asphalt failure.
Subtle signs of asphalt failure:
- Longitudinal Cracks: cracks running parallel to traffic indicate subbase fracturing and weakening caused by traffic.
- Reflective Cracks: newer top asphalt layers failing due to older weak/failing surfaces below.
- Rutting: downward stress caused by heavy loading, studded tires, poor subgrade, inadequate pavement thickness, defective mix, and fast-traveling vehicles.
Regular inspection and maintenance by a professional is crucial to prevent asphalt failure. Don’t wait until it’s too late. Contact EastCoat Pavement Services for all your paving and asphalt repair needs.”